Friday, October 26, 2007

Olivet part deux

So...it's been another month!
This has become a monthly blog, apparently.

Nothing much that is noteworthy has happened in the last month. I've given speeches, written for the glimmerglass, done daily homework junk, etc. It's becoming monotonous it seems...I'm getting to the part of the semester where I have a mid-semester crisis of apathy from the sheer boredom with the routine of class/daily busy work.

Speech is going really well. I'm going to give a "speech on a speech" Tuesday...and I've memorized a three and a half minute section of a famous speech. Mine is Elizabeth Cady Stanton's "The Solitude of Self." Great speech. It gives me a newfound appreciation for the feminists of the 19th century...I would not be sitting in this dorm room, able to vote, etc. had it not been for their efforts to change public opinion. It's very inspiring.

Got to go "home" last weekend. That being my grandparents in Indiana. A second home of sorts. It was great to be able to catch up a bit with everyone. I've never been able to just say "hey, I'm going to see my cousins" before now. It's a two hour drive, but it didn't seem bad at all. I got to see a great number of aunts/uncles/cousins, and my grandparents. It was a good weekend.

Many of the Spring WJC crew are in DC this week for a big journalism conference...which makes me a litttle sad that I couldn't be there. I don't know when I'm going to get to see all those people in the same place again...probably not unless we have a reunion or something. Everyone is in far-flung places across the U.S.

I need to start filling out scholarship applications and internship apps too.

internships on the radar:
-American Soc. of Magazine Editors (write for some mag. in NYC or DC)
-Associated Press KC bureau probably
-KC Star
-?
we'll see. I'm still searching for ones I could do. I'm interested in looking for a copy-editing one too. we'll see?

No comments: